Mar 1, 2014

Facing Your Giants

Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
I won’t spend a lot time examining this passage. We all know this story, we’ve all heard it since we were children. Even children that don’t grow up in church know this story. I just want to focus on one verse.
And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
Ladies, can I point out one thing?  Goliath fell on his face.  His face.  To the earth.  He fell on his face.  Now I know that you might be thinking that this is pointless, but it’s really not.  He fell on his face… David hit him in the forehead.  This is where we have to apply a little math and physics to the situation.  The stone in the forehead would have caused Goliath to fall on his back.  David didn’t kill the giant.  He was just used of God.  Often, we face situations that are very much the same.  We each have our “giants” in our life that we struggle with.  We are encouraged in that David could defeat his giant with the help of God, and so can we.  That is indeed very encouraging, but I want to encourage you even more.  You aren’t meant to defeat the giants in your life.  God wants to defeat the giants.  He just wants to do it through you.  God wants to use you to bring glory to Him through your giants. But what if David had used the sword and shields that Saul had tried giving him?  It wouldn’t have given all the glory to God.  God used a boy with a rock to kill a giant.  All glory belonged to God.  The same thing applies to our life.  We can try to defeat our giants on our own, and it’s very likely that we might succeed.  But that’s not the point of the giant.  The point of the giant is to 1) strengthen your trust in God, 2) to bring glory to God. 

Are you giving God the full glory with your giants?                                                                                     
My name is Sarah Covey, I grew up in a christian home, and made a profession of faith when I was a little girl. When I was 13 years old, I went to Northwoods Baptist Camp with a group from our church. The guest preacher was Bro. Josh Jones from West Virginia. On Wednesday night Bro. Jones preached a powerful message on Hell. The Holy Spirit was convicting me during the invitation, but I put it off. Thursday night, during the invitation, Bro. Jones touched on the topic of Hell again, and the conviction came back. God was giving me another opportunity. That night I accepted Jesus as my Saviour. Currently, I am tutoring and teaching piano lessons. God has really shown Himself true in my life, especially this past year, and I can't wait to see what He has in store for me in the future. You can keep up with current "happenings" at my blog: A Daughter of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! We hope that this blog has been a blessing to you! Come back soon! =D

 
MS2